Episode 15: Ear Infections
One of the most common secondary infections caused by the common cold is a middle ear infection. In this episode we talk about middle ear infections and also touch briefly on swimmers ear and middle ear effusions. In this episode you will learn:
- Normal ear anatomy
- What is an ear effusion
- Does swimming or bathing cause an ear infection?
- What is the difference between swimmers ear and an ear infection?
- What causes an ear infection
- What are the signs and symptoms of an ear infection
- The most common age group affected by ear infections
- How can we protect kids from ear infections
- What to do if you suspect an ear infection in the middle of the night
- How to provide pain control to your child from an ear infection
- What is watchful waiting and how do we effectively use it to treat an ear infection?
- Perforated ear drums
- Flying with an ear infection or cold
- When should we consider an ENT referral, what are ear tubes, and when should we consider an ENT referral to discuss ear tubes?