Episode 14: Croup
Fall and winter are the seasons in which there is a rise in upper respiratory infections including croup. Croup is a specific type of URI that causes a barky seal-like cough and sometimes difficulty breathing. Croup often comes on suddenly and can be very scary for parents. In this episode, Nurse Practitioners Karen & Jean discuss croup and help us to understand how to handle croup when it is suspected:
- Signs and symptoms of croup
- The hallmark symptom of croup
- Sound bite of the classic “seal” bark cough
- At home treatment recommendations
- Steroids? When should and when should we not use them?
- The differences between mild, moderate, and severe croup
- When to consider an ER evaluation or when to call 911
- When would an ENT referral be appropriate?