Episode 28: Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease
Previously recorded in 2018: Hand, Foot, and Mouth disease has been very prevalent in our community this year so Nurse Practitioners Karen Gentile and Jean Russo discuss this common virus also known as the coxsackie virus. The following topics are discussed in this episode:
- Differences between Hand, Foot, and Mouth disease vs. Herpangina- both of which are caused by the Coxsackie Virus
- Signs and symptoms of the Coxsackie Virus
- What age group does it affect?
- Clinical presentation
- Incubation period
- When are children contagious?
- How is Coxsackie Virus transmitted?
- How can we prevent Coxsackie Virus?
- When can children can return to school
- Sequelae of coxsackie virus- peeling of the hands and feet, nail matrix arrest
- Complications of the virus-> Dehydration
- Adequate pain control & hydration as the treatment method
- Can sometimes affect adults
More information can be found at: healthychildren.org
Click here to listen on iTunes